Chargrilled Squid, Potato, Watercress with Green Breadcrumbs & Lemon Dressing
Taken from Around the World in Salads 120 Ways to Love Your Leaves by Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi, published by Kyle Books, priced at £16.99. Photography by Helen Cathcart.
Katie says: “Soft squid and crumbly potatoes are set off perfectly here with crunchy herb breadcrumbs and citrus dressing. Enjoy this salad as a light lunch or starter. We learnt to make these green breadcrumbs in Sicily, where they topped an octopus and tomato pasta. They freeze well so keep any leftovers in a small plastic bag, squeeze out the air and freeze for up to 3 months.”
For the salad
- 1 medium potato or 6 new potatoes, skin on
- 300g squid, cut and scored in pieces to curl up or cut into rings and small tentacles left whole
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salted or brined capers, rinsed well, roughly chopped if large
- a large handful of salad leaves
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
For the green breadcrumbs
- 50g white bread from a country-style or gluten-free loaf
- 20g mixed fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf or curly parsley, marjoram, oregano and thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
For the lemon dressing
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a small pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potato or potatoes until tender. Leave to cool then peel the skin off the medium potato, if using.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 150ÅãC/gas mark 2. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Whizz the bread and herbs together in a food processor with salt and pepper. Pour into a bowl and mix with the oil and the lemon zest.
- Transfer the crumbs to the lined tray and roast for about 5 minutes until crisp. Meanwhile, break up the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat the grill to high. Mix the squid with the oil, season well and lay onto a grill pan. Cook for 3–5 minutes until just cooked through and lightly browned. Turn halfway through cooking. Toss the remaining salad ingredients with the dressing and arrange on individual plates.
- Lay over the squid slices and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs to finish.